The Next Best Thing




Author Will Parkinson was kind enough to tag me in the NEXT BIG THING Blog Hop.    This means I will be answering ten questions about whatever my next "big thing" is and then I tag other authors who perpetuate cycle to continue. 




 



The honeymoon period is over for Derrick and Justin.   Now in their second year of college they are experiencing what happens when you are no longer in love with the one you love.  Derrick feels that Justin has gotten too wild while Justin finds Derrick to be too boring.  It seems like overnight they go from being happily in love to being utterly annoyed with each other.   Deciding whether or not things can be worked or if it is time to move on finds Justin and Derrick in situations they’d never considered before.

Drifting will be the last book in the Finding Our Way Series.  Although I have no plans to write another book in the series, I am quite fond of these characters so do not be surprised if you see any of them pop up in another story


1: What is the working title of your novel?
Drifting
Although it is a sequel to Tormented Discovery (Finding Our Way Series, Book 3), the book will be written as a standalone as the previous books were.

2: Where did the idea for the novel come from?
This story has been a long time coming.  After writing Finding Our Way, I had an idea for another book with Derrick and Justin in college.  My friend and editor thought it would be too much of a jump to go from the character’s junior year in high school to their second year in college and suggested I write a book in between.  I thought I would sit down and write the book with the characters in college and then go back to write the middle book later.  I left some unanswered questions in Finding Our Way that I would then be able to include as part of whatever storyline I thought up.

For years, I have had a character in my mind by the name of Ian, who is a heavy-set gay guy.  I’d always wanted to do a story from his perspective.  When I wrote my short story Summer Escape I was going to use him in it, but decided he did not fit in with the direction I was taking the story.   I had a scene I wrote where this skinny, attractive guy at a dance club tells him that he’s too fat to be gay, which I really wanted to use.    As I was developing Drifting I discovered how well Ian would fit in with the direction I was going to take with the characters from my previous two books so I look forward to getting to know Ian better.

3: What is the genre of the novel?
m/m fiction, m/m romance, m/m relationships

4: Which actors would you choose to play the characters in a movie rendition of the novel?


Derrick Wilson = Keir Gilchrist




Justin Parker = Josh Hutcherson



Hayden Clifton = Johnny Simmons



Ryan Rosales = Asher Book



Tyler and Tyson Hensley (the twins) = Alexander Ludwig
 


5: What is a one-sentence synopsis of the novel?

Falling in love is easy, it is staying together that is the hard part.
 

6: Will the novel be self-published, published by a publisher, or represented by an agency?

Self-Published through CreateSpace and Kindle Direct Publishing
 

7: How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?

6 months (so far)

8: What other novels would you compare this story to within your genre?

Something Like Summer by Jay Bell
A Better Place by Mark Roeder

9: Who or what inspired you to write this novel?

I’d read Martin Wilson’s What They Always Tell Us after walking by it at the library and the cover catching my attention.   Months after I finished reading it, I kept finding myself inspired to write my first book.  I was inspired to write Finding Our Way because I’d always had in the back of my mind writing a story about two best friends who fall in love.  Just as I wished Martin Wilson would write a sequel to his book, I had all these ideas for Derrick and Justin’s relationship down the road.

10: What else about your book might pique a reader’s interest?
Along with new people, many of the “side” characters will make an appearance.

Look for The Next Big Thing blog posts from these authors on or before Wednesday, February 13th.  Happy reading!

Comments

Popular Posts